Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

What In The World Do You Do With Just 1???

Well....I slept, quite a bit. I played in the little plastic pool...told you I would! I snuggled every nap time and bedtime with my 2yo baby. I read a TON!

I actually started and finished three books from Friday until today. The first was "Left To Tell". I was really excited about reading this book. I had read and heard great things about it. While I liked the book, I disliked what I saw as the author's dwelling on visualization. Probably just my mere misinterpretation of what she was trying to say, but hey, this is my blog and my opinion!! Just kidding!

The second book I read was The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis. Oh my goodness, that was a wonderful book! My mind has not stopped pondering some of his points since I finished reading it. The first point that he made is that what draws us together (really any of us, friends, spouses, community) is need. If we have no needs would we desire to still be together. I also thought about how much we alienate ourselves when we refuse to share our needs for whatever reason.

Finally, my third book was the 3rd Harry Potter book Prisoner of Azkaban. Love it!! I was totally against the HP books when I first heard about them years and years ago. William read the first one and said it was great and was fine. I had never read them though. After he read them, we allowed the girls to read them and Brianna has loved them now for years. I am not sure why exactly I was against them. Probably because that was the "in" thing to do at the time. It was not really the magic because magic was in Snow White and every other childhood story/movie. Like I said, I don't really know why. I was raised with the big thing being Dungeons and Dragons and my parents forbid anything dealing with that to come into our house, I think I really just wanted to forbid something :) Anyway, my point is, now that I have started reading the books I absolutely love the lessons that the books teach, especially book 2. I have found them to be much less violent than the Lord of the Rings books. Number three was great and I can't wait to go on to number 4!!

So, now that you know what I spent all weekend doing, you can also know that I can't wait for tomorrow evening to come around and get two of my girls back and then Tuesday night we will all be together again!! Yooooohooooo:)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you know, I love harry potter and read all the books. Cody and I are okay with them, but one thing Cody said one time has really stuck with me. He said if he was going to be against the books it would not be because of the witch stuff or evil forces, or whatever, it would be because Harry is always breaking the rules and getting hardly any consequence, in fact, it's usually a good thing that he disobeyed his teachers, etc. I thought that was a different take on it!

Unknown said...

i LOVE cs lewis. It has been a while since I read the great divorce, so I need to pick that one up again. I can read lewis all day long, over and over. he had an amazing mind! i really wish I could have met him...he's top on my list of dead person you wish you could have dinner with.

Roger Cook said...

Apparently, Cody and I share a brain cell, Becky.

Stephanie said...

Another book about the Rwandan Holocaust that is good is An Ordinary Man by Paul Rusesabagina (not sure I spelled that right). He's the guy that the movie Hotel Rwanda is about. My mom still will not read the Harry Potter series, so I was really hesitant to ever start reading them. But I thoroughly enjoy them and am looking forward to book 7!

Unknown said...

It think there's something to remember about the HP books and the fact that Harry breaks the rules - it's children's literature - they're supposed to do that. And the kids are supposed to know more than the adults. That's one reason why it appeals to kids so much. And frankly, they wouldn't be very interesting books if Harry never broke any rules, would they? Also, there's a lot of other children's literature (Chronicles of Narnia included) that shows kids breaking the rules and such. Just my thoughts.

Our Blogger Templates Web Design