Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Sunday, April 22, 2007

30 Days of Nothing

The title of this post is a bit deceiving. It would best be called 30 days of less. Starting this coming weekend, our family is going to go through an exercise. We have decided what is necessary spending and we will attempt to buy nothing extra. Now, let me clarify necessary spending. Of course gymnastics is not necessary spending and could always be dropped, but since it is a skill that Tori is trying to develop, it would be disruptive to stop for only a month. I am talking more about the eating out, Starbucks, taking the tollway (for the girls and I), etc. It does not sound like a lot, but think it will end up being more than what we think. The girls are really excited about doing it.

Our purpose is two-fold, we want to remind ourselves how blessed we are at the same time turning our attention to the needs of others and frankly I am curious at how much money we throw away each month. I am going to use this blog to help hold myself accountable. We are going to have different activities as a family each week. Week one will be to have a beans and rice day. We will study they way that many people in other countries have no money for food and we will make a feeble attempt at seeing how it feels to have our choices to restricted to these staples. The next week we will wash one load of laundry outside by hand. Just another experience in less. The third week we will have a no electricity day. Cold water, candle light, cooking outside on the grill and no computer will be the highlights that day!! The girls are pretty excited about this day, but I think we will all be in for a little bit of a shock. The final week we will spend one night all together, sleeping on the floor. I am hoping that by doing these activities, we will not only turn our eyes towards others needs, but also see some of the benefit in some of these activities.

I heard about this from a fellow blogger and teacher of the Simplicity class I have mentioned before. I think we are all excited, but I must admit that I feel I have already cheated! In preparation for the month, I went ahead and bought us season passes to Hawaiian Falls and went and bought $300 worth of clothes over the weekend. Is that not pathetic!

I am praying that this will be a benefit to all six of us! I will keep you posted.

On to a different topic. What an awesome sermon we heard at church today. It was over how we need to notice people to make a difference. Not just out of the church but in as well. I reminded me of that song by Casting Crowns, "Does Anybody Hear Her".

Does Anybody Hear Her"

She is running
A hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction
She is trying
But the canyon's ever widening
In the depths of her cold heart
So she sets out on another misadventure just to find
She's another two years older
And she's three more steps behind

Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even knows she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me
Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?


She is yearning
For shelter and affection
That she never found at home
She is searching
For a hero to ride in
To ride in and save the day
And in walks her prince charming
And he knows just what to say
Momentary lapse of reason
And she gives herself away

If judgement looms under every steeple
If lofty glances from lofty people
Can't see past her scarlet letter
And we never even met her


He is running
A hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction

How different would our world be if we noticed people. I think of stories on the news and in the paper about people that have gone unnoticed until they cry out so loud that we can't help but notice. How many times have we ignored someone's cries because we don't take the time to hear them. I am so guilty of this. I pray that I will slow down and listen and notice people.

Well, enough for today!

Later :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear how your 30 days experiment goes! I really admire your family for taking this challenge on, and I hope you will share with us often your thoughts, feelings, successes, failures, etc as you proceed. I have not even talked with Cody about it yet, but I hope we will try it in the future. I think it would be epsecially good when our kids are a little older and could learn some valuable lessons from it. But, I need the lessons the most, so we may not wait too long before trying it.

Our Blogger Templates Web Design