Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hospitality

The past few days I have had several things rattling around in my mind that I wanted to post and never could quite decide which one to do, so I am going to combine a couple of topics....hang with me!!

First, for anyone that attends RE and heard John's sermon on Sunday, we should all shout a collective AMEN!!! How awesome was Sunday. I felt at times like he was talking directly to me. Have you ever sat through a sermon and listened intently, but quickly on you felt it was directed at you? Then as the sermon progresses, you are still listening but when you leave you really can't tell anyone what was said, but only how it spoke to you. For me that was Sunday. I was talking to a friend that was out on Sunday telling her how great the sermon was and when she asked what it was about, I really could not nail it down except to tell her what I took away from it. I have really been struggling lately with my heartitude (another post!!) and Sunday was awesome for me!

Okay, now on to topic two!! There is an outstanding lady at my church. She is one of the people that I would choose, if I could, to just sit down and listen to her talk. She has more kiddos than me!!! Hers are all boys and one beautiful daughter. She seems so soft spoken, I would love to hear how she raised her children and ran her household. She is homeschooling as well! Her husband and she are such Godly, kind people. Anyway, what I am wanting to share is that she has been on my heart lately to pray for her. Have you ever had God lay someone on your heart like that? I mostly am praying thanks for her and the example that she is to me. Who do you look to for an example?

Topic two leads to topic three.....This fabulous lady, same one from topic two, gave me a book to read on Sunday call Open Heart, Open Home by Karen Mains. It is about practicing Godly hospitality and how God uses us to make others feel welcome and wanted. One thing that has really stuck out to me is the author talking about us using our humaness and weaknesses to get out of being hospitable. I am really guilty of this. I have been known to not answer the door if my house is not clean enough for company. She talks about how hospitality has nothing to do with impressing people, but it is about making them feel welcomed and loved. She says "True hospitality comes before pride." When I want everything to be perfect before someone comes over, this has nothing to do with the person being welcomed in my home, it has everything to do with me! That is not hospitality! I have trouble getting myself to have people over if I do not have enough matching dishes for us all. This is not about sharing God's love and blessings with others, again, this is about me and how I want to look.

What are your views on hospitality?

3 comments:

owldog1 said...

Oh my goodness are you talking to me about me??? I love it and I agree I am going to try and be more hospitable and help people feel welcome and not apologize for my house or dishes not matching. If someone else comes in and sees my not so perfect house and I am okay with it maybe they will feel comfortable and invite people to their home.

Unknown said...

hospitality is another topic near to my heart like simplicity. Meaning- I am not perfect in living it out, but I sure do think about it and try to be that way. I think simplicity and hospitality go hand in hand because the goal of simplicity is relationship- focusing on others instead of stockpiling and thinking of ourselves. When we have a simple life, there is ROOM to invite people in, as opposed to a cluttered house and cluttered heart. Good stuff- glad I read your post!

Roger Cook said...

You're behind!!!!

Storm

Our Blogger Templates Web Design