Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Thursday, July 5, 2007

4th of July!!!

Happy belated 4th of July!! I hope that everyone in cyberland had an outstanding holiday. We did here at the Huckabee household! I have always been really cautious about who I invited over because of the fact that our house is really small and frankly could use a little tlc! After reading the book that I shared about last time, I talked to William about us having a little 4th of July shindig! We prayed about it and sent out the invitation. I really prayed for a good mix of people so that everyone would have someone to talk to and have a good time with. The girls and I prayed constantly about the weather. We have been having weeks of nonstop rain, so we were really needing to dry out a bit.

Well, as the big day approached, the forecast was rain, rain and a bit more rain. We kept the local radar on our computer so that we could keep an eye on the storms. My dad kept telling me that it was going to rain and we needed to just cancel. Well, when I went to bed on Tuesday night it was raining, I woke up in the middle of the night, looked outside and saw stars!! Wednesday morning the forecast was....rain! So we watched the radar off and on throughout the day. We watched storm by storm come through and split in half as it hit our area. We stayed dry all day!! Our friends living just a bit to the south said they had pouring rain and our friends just a bit to the north had pouring rain, we had none!! It was so awesome.

Okay, awesome occurrence number two.....the back yard was still really muddy from all of the previous rain so we decided to get some hay to lay down so at least the kids could get to the playhouse. We could not find a seed and feed store open yesterday so we could not get any hay. I had a thought that we could buy some plywood pieces and lay down, but we really did not need to spend that much money. When we got home I had an email about a lady in this area who needed to get rid of six pieces of plywood!!! So we picked it up and put it down.

We ended up last night with 49 people in our small 1500 square foot house! We had such a wonderful time. There were a few times that it seemed a little cramped, like when people were lining up to get food. Even then, people were so patient that it worked out great. Our backyard was full of people visiting and kids running and screaming, our house was full of people talking and more kids running and screaming....it was awesome!!!! I will have wonderful memories of this 4th of July for a long time to come, as will my kids. We all had a fabulous time. I was truly blessed last night.

So the lesson in this is.....
1. Pray, pray, pray
2. Don't be afraid to invite a lot of people to a small house
3. Kids will entertain themselves
4. Friends are awesome!!

Oh, I wanted to also let you know that it is raining here this morning :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like you had a wonderful evening! i'm sorry we missed it...but our kids were so tired and cranky last night about 7:30 that i think we made the right call. have a great day!

Stephanie said...

Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad y'all got to do it!

Heather said...

So glad you guys had fun!! God really was watching out for you and provided lots of sunshine!!

Our Blogger Templates Web Design