Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Friday, October 5, 2007

Freak!

I love Friday's! The weekend always gives us a chance to spend time together and I love it. A habit that I picked up in college is that the weekend actually begin on Thursday evening. I am not sure how that started, but at each of the colleges I attended, the big night to go out was Thursday night.

We started our weekend last night with William grilling awesome burgers on the grill followed by some yummy homemade ice cream! Boy was it good! It always seems so funny to me that two of our girls always choose a bun with ketchup. No meat, no cheese, just ketchup!! They missed out :)

William is home again today. We woke up with Kalli throwing up...again and Brianna's ear, head and jaw are causing pain again. Yesterday morning she still felt a bit better, but by afternoon she was down and out again! She has an appointment with the doctor this afternoon.

I am not one that often takes my kids to the doctor, though how it looks lately you may not believe me! My kids just seem to come down with weird things! I have gone through dozens of ear infections with Kalli...no doctor. Numerous oozing eyes and skin infections...no doctor. Puke, runs, headaches, broken toes, bloody noses, a gazillion snot noses and coughs...no doctor. But sometimes things just baffle me and I go. I don't like it, but I do it. When I was in last week I was apologizing for taking her time (don't know why I always do that since that is what she is there for, but I do). She told me to chill! She said there were people in for every little thing all of the time. She reminded me that the last time Bri was in, other than a check up, was when she had meningitis. I felt better, but when I call and talk to the office staff, I always feel like a paranoid freak again!!

This brings me to another thing I am pondering lately...We get weird, not common junk! They say hepatitis A is no big deal, I was the exception and ended up in the hospital for a week. Tori had stunted growth due to steroid overuse when she was younger (the steroids were given after having RSV when she was a baby). I took Bri to the doctor when she was around 5 because she kept complaining of her throat feeling funny (I did wait a couple of months on this one). I was explaining to the doctor why we were there and told her I just wanted to make sure it was not a tumor or something and she laughed saying that kids her age don't get tumors there often. Guess what!! Bri had a growth on her thyroid, she thought it was a tumor!! After sending her the next day for a gazillion tests at Children's, it apparently burst and was just a fluid filled something or other (I could have save some money apparently if I had just pushed on her neck a lot!).

Then we have Bri again...meningitis. She gets sick, I personally thought she was trying to get out of cleaning the kitchen, but since she normally did not do that, I let her go lay down. Five hours later she is vomiting and having a horrible headache. I am calm and call the after hours line mostly because I can't remember how to alternate Tylenol and Motrin. They say bring her to the ER. I hate the ER!! We wait, she gets worse so we go (Kalli is 1 month old at the time). They think she has meningitis and perform 7 spinal taps before they get it right. They assume it is bacterial because at this point she is so sick and start her on antibiotics. Ends up being viral meningitis (kids are not supposed to get very sick from viral, but you know us!). She is at Children's for 4 days before she gets well enough to go home. The first night home she is in agony because her legs hurt, she can't lay still, but when she gets up she starts vomiting. We wait for the doctor's office to open and I carry her in (this was 2 years ago, she was a bit hard to carry..go mom!). They send her back to the hospital. She is vomiting the most disgusting stuff I have ever seen or smelled! It was awful!!!

The blood work showed some curve or turn or something that caused them to think that she might have been exposed, during her spinal taps, to a bacteria and may have the bacterial meningitis now. We wait and test...apparently the next day things look better and they figure that she was just extremely dehydrated and that is what caused whatever it was they were worried about, but....she is still in extreme pain and semi conscious. The do an MRI to look for a clot in her back that could be causing the pain, nope, not it! I ask repeatedly if she could be leaking spinal fluid due to the small hole not clotting, nope they say, does not happen often in children and not this far out after having it. Guess what??? Ended up she was leaking and that caused the puking, which caused the dehydration which made everything worse! They said that a blood patch would fix it up immediately...nope, it helped but took a few more days!

Last year she started having similar headaches. Her doctor sent her back to the hospital. I told them, please no spinal tap, she is terrified of needles. They said that there were other tests they could do to try and rule out meningitis, but if she failed those they would have to. She failed every, freaking single one! They did a great job of doing the spinal and told me that since they had her lay flat for 3 hours after the procedure, she would be fine. Guess what!!!! Leak..again, but this time I did not call the doctor, I knew that they had said last time that if she had not been throwing up and so dehydrated she could have laid down for a few days and it would heal itself. We did that and after a week, it worked. I told my doctor later about doing that and she was not impressed, so I don't recommend it.


We are just weird!! We are the family of 2 big car wrecks (so not my fault!) and the death of a parent all in 1 week! Now this thing with Brianna! There are times it is funny, but other times it is embarrassing!!

Now you know it, we are freaks!! Still love me???

No comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design