Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Giant Purple People Pleaser!

Yup, that is me! But today, I am going to do something that I feel will make someone upset with me.

Tori is switching gymnastics teams. There are several reasons for the switch, but we are very excited for her to begin working with her new team today. My first inclination is to pull Kalli from her class as well so I don't have to face the gym anymore. But Kalli loves her class sooo much.

William called yesterday to inform them, but I am going to go in today for Kalli's class. I know this sounds like no big deal, but for me, it is huge! I am terrified. I know it is just a business and I am a customer, but these people there have become my friends and I don't think they will completely understand why we are doing what we are, but that is okay. I know they will not be rude or throw things at me, but it is the silent uneasiness that I dread!!

People pleasing is a selfish act. On the outside it sounds like a nice person who wants everyone to be happy, but it is selfish. It makes everything about me and I am really working on getting rid of that in my life.

On Sunday's, I help with a children's chorus at my church. We are having adults come in and sing two of the songs with us this year. I am very excited about it for several reasons. First, I think it shows the children how important they are! Second, I like the idea of involving more than just one group of people.

I took on doing this because I love music! Seriously, I way love music and I wanted to share that with the kids. On Sunday when the adults came for the first time to practice with us, I was so nervous about what they would think or how I might make myself look like a dork, that I completely messed the kids up several times! Everyone had to suffer for my selfishness. I should not care if I look like a dork, but I did and I do!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that I am going to be more intentional with my actions in this area, or at least I am going to try. Hopefully I will still have some friends when I get it all worked out!!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I'm proud of you. I know how hard this can be. Just remember...it feels much worse to compromise yourself and your family and live with that disappointment than to take a stand. KUDOS!

How is your leg?

owldog1 said...

Oh you willl be my mentor

Roger Cook said...

Kristi,

Tori's current gym is a good introduction to gymnastics. A lot of what they do is focused more on child care and keeping kids busy. If Tori is serious about gymnastics, going to a different club is a Good Thing. I am sure that your gym recognizes their niche--and it's not training Olympic quality athletes, or even aspiring college athletes.

Stephanie said...

I thought you were doing a great job on Sunday night! The kids were having a great time and they sounded so good! Don't worry about the silly adults that are singing or will be watching the program! You have worked so hard with the kids and have been such a great influence in their lives! You can't beat that!

Lynn Leaming said...

Kristi,
I'm not sure I agree with you that worrying about what other's think or needing to please others is a selfish thing. I think it is great that you are aware of it, but I personally think that the kind of pressure you were putting on yourself Sunday night is an attack from Satan. He does not want you to feel confident in the talents God has blessed you with. He does not want you to glory in the strength God gives you to accomplish His will. He wants you to have a low self esteem and worry more about people's approval than God's approval. The great thing is that Jesus died so that you will always have God's approval no matter what you do. Just give Him your best and He will do the rest. I think He has blessed you with a great heart and many talents that you are using to serve him, and bless me and kids and a whole bunch of others. Kick Satan in the teeth and just believe that God is able, more than able to accomplish anything that comes your way.

Our Blogger Templates Web Design