Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Monday, November 5, 2007

The Howling and a Birth Story!

Okay, maybe it is not really howling, but I do hear the wind blowing outside. I finally relented and put on long sleeves Sunday after looking like a freak (again) in shorts all last week. Well....no one told me it was going to be a thousand degrees outside!! I really wish it would get cold and stay there. Just for a couple of months!

I looked at the weather online tonight and was so happy when they said the high tomorrow was in the 60's. Then I remembered about when we were living in North Dakota, that would be considered warm! Crazy stuff!!!

I have been thinking quite a bit lately about when my girls were born. Probably has something to do with all of the pregnant ladies at church and the fact that my baby is growing so fast. But, I thought I would share a bit of their birth stories with you. Let's start with Brianna!

I found out I was pregnant with her about a month after William had left for basic training. We had only been married 6 months and in that time we had changed career directions, moved across the state, William left for basic training and was to be gone for 5 months and then...tadah, I am preggers!!

I was thrilled and terrified! When I was in my 6th month he got out of basic and we were moved to Minot, North Dakota. Talk about culture shock! We left here wearing shorts and arrived there four days later to snow. We had no house waiting, knew no one, we really had nothing but a lot of time to pray on the way.

God was so good as He blessed us with awesome friends the first day and A house within 4 days. We really were not able to get established in a church there so we had home church. It was awesome!

Okay, so I am away from our family and pregnant/newly married! Brianna was due a couple of days after our first anniversary! I was sooo scared because with Williams schedule, he was gone for four days and home for three. I was so afraid that I would go into labor when he was gone! It had also crossed my mind numerous times that we could have a blizzard when I was in labor.

Well...I had gone out with some wives from his squadron (he was out in the missile field) for lunch and was feeling pretty yucky! I went home and took a nap, woke up and my water broke. Like big time broke!! What did I do??? I called my mom, who was not home. Then I called my dad's office. His secretary said he was out so I told her. She informed me that there was really nothing she could do and maybe I should call William! Good idea!

I call and he is out on patrol, but they say they are going to radio in for him to head back to the squadron. He should be back on base in 2 - 3 hours! I am not prone to panic (okay, I am, but this is my story and I want to look good!), but I began to worry a bit :) I called my new, awesome friend Jodie. She came to pick me up and take me to the hospital. I felt so bad because remember how my water broke, well, she was in her new car!! We left for the base hospital.

Upon arrival they hooked me up to the monitor and said I was not having contractions, though I really felt like I was. They also did a test and said my water had not broke so they told me to go home. I informed them that either my water had broke or I had completely lost all control of my bladder! Luckily they tested again and said my water had broke, but no contractions so no big deal...but...they were closed for the weekend due to being understaffed and I would need to go in town (30 minutes away), but there was no hurry.

I now had no husband, no hospital and no doctor!! Jodie and I went back to her house to pick up her husband (or course it had started snowing and he was going to drive us into town!). I was really feeling bad at this point, I thought my lunch was making me sick. We went by William squadron office to drop off the car keys so he could drive into town and meet us and as I walked down the halls of the office I was having to hold onto the wall I felt so bad. We also went by Burger King on the way to get me a Sprite hoping I would feel better (remember they told me I was not having contractions:). On the way to the hospital I became a bit agitated that they would not drive faster so I told them I would pay any ticket or fine, but to get me there! I was sooo scared!

We finally go there and walked up to the third floor. A wonderful nurse met me in the hall and said that the base had called, but they had said I was not in labor. She said they were wrong!! Once they got me into a room and picked a midwife for me they informed my she was facing up instead of down..little stinker! They tried to turn her but she did not turn. William finally walked in the door and I tore him up one side and down the other...so they told me! Oh, but I was so happy to see him!

After some awful back labor, Brianna was born facing up just after midnight! She weighed 9 pounds and had a head full of black hair. I started to hemorrhage after she was born and I remember asking the midwife what was going on. She told me I would die if they could not fix it! Can we say drama queen!!

Obviously they stopped it and I was fine. I had the most incredible baby in my arms. They moved William and I into a room where we had a queen bed and he could spend the night with me.

Some things I remember the most were first how hard it was to nurse a baby! No one had ever told me it might be difficult! That is a whole other post! I cried almost the entire first night. I was so tired and needed to sleep, but I felt bad sending her to the nursery. I also had extreme postpartum depression after she was born. That lasted about three months and almost ended our plans of having more children.

Never had anything been so awesome yet so terrifying as being a parent, and little did we know it had just begun!

No comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design