Kristi's Krazy Korner!!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Side Effects!


I have shared how we have been working really hard to eat foods with the least amount of processing that we can. The reason we originally decided to do this was as a desperate, last ditch effort to stay away from medical intervention.

I have had this stomach pain for the last year that has been getting worse. It happened pretty consistently every day or two and has gotten worse over the past year. I originally thought it was the gallstones that I have, but it did not follow the pattern that gallstone pain does. So anyway, every couple of days, I would end up in bed for a couple of hours in pain. Kinda hard to do with 4 kiddos!!

About 6 months ago a friend suggested giving up cheese and dairy to see if it was related to that. I totally did NOT want to go that route, as cheese is my favorite food! In November, I remember going to Olive Garden with a bunch of friends and eating the baked ziti. Within 10 minutes my stomach hurt so bad that I had to go home and miss out on the rest of our fun evening!

Then and there I decided that I would be willing to forgo cheese if it would help, so I gave it up. Well, it worked fabulously for about 3 weeks and then it started occasionally hurting again despite the lack of dairy. So I was stumped!

I kept a food journal and found that it occurred at seemingly random times, so that was no help...until last week.....! I can't remember why, but the thought kept occurring to me that maybe it was a reaction to some chemical in food. Something that was in many of the cheese dished I ate (which would account for the decrease in frequency when I gave up cheese).

So with encouragement from William and the girls, we decided to all give it a go! It definitely has to be a team effort for us just due to the amount of work!

I am happy to report no stomach pain since we began 3 days ago! One of the things I would eat that always, without fail made it hurt was cheese pizza. Well, we had that on Sunday night and I felt fine!!! Woohoo!! Great side effect so far!

Then we have my sweet Emi! She has had trouble with intestinal blockage for the past 2 years. Nasty, yucky, embarrassing problem! Now I am about to get into some gross, mom details, so skip down a couple of paragraphs if you want to! Because of the blockage problem, her bm's have always been liquid. I would take her to the doctor thinking she had severe diarrhea, just to have them tell me she is blocked! I always thought that was weird!!

Anyway, she started having a tummy ache today and I kid you not that girl has gone potty 20 times!!! She was amazed that bm's could be solid!! Sad isn't it? I think that what she was eating before was a lot of the problem. Another great side effect!

Well, now that we have all of the digestive talk out of the way, let me tell you what we ate today!! It was yummy!!!

Breakfast - eggs, homemade hash browns, homemade tortillas (super easy and sooo good!), with apples and yogurt!!
Lunch - a piece of homemade bread with peanut butter and some strawberries
Dinner - spinach/chipotle chicken, spinach salad with strawberries and almonds, corn and homemade tortillas. For dessert I baked these little pastry shells and stuffed them with yummy berries!! That was a hit!

Now, the eggs and hashbrowns were great, but they were kinda greenish! I am pretty sure it was because of the potatoes and potato skins.

I was really nervous making the tortillas, but they ended up being so easy and we just loved them! I was also nervous about the pastries because I have never made any, but that was pretty easy too!

Definitely some yummy food! I talked with the girls about us slowing down our eating and actually taking the time to enjoy the flavors and colors of the food that God made for us to enjoy. As in the other posts, we are still really enjoying working together! The girls are getting a kick out of learning to cook some of the new food!!
I am going tomorrow to buy a heavy duty mixer that should be very helpful!

Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design